Monday, January 30, 2012

What makes you happy?




 Angelina = radiance, beauty, happiness


In the human migratory pattern of life, individuals flock towards the goal of happiness. Two things are certain: suffering and death are usually to be avoided, if given a choice. Happiness differs from one person to the next but in most cases, love, shelter and a full-belly helps to reach this goal of bliss, no matter how fleeting it is. I have given a lot of thought-nay of lot of years- to happiness. What it is, and how i can attain it. I'm not implying that i found a secret formula. It's just that for me, who generally tends to vacillate easily towards depression, happiness is an important concept. So here's what i learned: happiness is what you make of it-of your life, of any given moment. I read a great interview with Drew Barrymore recently where she mentioned that : "happiness is a choice. You have to work at it, and stick with it." I like that notion. I used to wish for things to come, things i thought would make me happy: a boy, money, traveling, clothes, independence. But i really am realizing that no one can make you happy but you. And you make your own happiness. So stop thinking that a man will come and make it all better. That more money will solve all of your problems. That a change of settings necessarily mean you'll be more joyous. It won't. In fact, realizing that being happy is fleeting is paramount. As humans we go through a plethora of emotions. And we can't feel blissfull all the time. That's ok. It alright to be sad sometimes just as it is your right to feel happy. And when you do, revel in it. And when you don't, don't dwell on it.

I leave you with this thought: what makes you happy? Make a list, make a mental note. It's good sometimes to keep track of the good, and not just of the negative. Here's what makes me happy right now: writing this blog, laughing with my coworkers, having goals, feeling useful, eating deserts (lots of it), watching Game of Thrones and Downton Abbey, cuddling with my dogs, shaking my ass off, a good meal with good friends, flirting, the promise of an upcoming trip, clean laundry.

xox

2 comments:

  1. Nice post! I agree with you!

    Someone important in my life told me recently: you are not a problem to be solved.

    Being happy in your life starts by being happy with yourself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merci ma chérie!! I couldn't agree more! I'll keep that in mind! Gros bisoux!

    ReplyDelete