Saturday, June 30, 2012

Maybe McQueen






I have discussed on here how much I was touched by the death of Andy Whitfield, the actor who played in Spartacus. I wasn't quite so sure why then, and I still ain't sure why now, i'm so affected by it. Was it the fact that he was so good looking? Looked so strong? Had just started his carreer as an actor? Or that he was such a young dad? Or moreso that it reflects back to me my own mortality?  I may never know but the point is that I feel this deep sting of pain whenever I think about it.

Which is why I was nearly brought to tears at work (no joke) when I discovered Maybe McQueen, a blog started by Whitfield's wife Vashti in hommage to her husband. Her blog follows her through the ups and downs of raising two young kids, of loosing your best friend and moving on. It's beautiful and poignant and hard-wrenching all at once. A must read.

4 comments:

  1. Hi Aude. I couldn't say this better myself. My thoughts and experience Are exact as yours. I am obsessed with reading Vashti's blog everyday. I feel like reading about her and her little ones give me a chance to be close to knowing about Andy and remember him. I think of him daily and my heart ached for all of them! What an unfortunate thing to happened to such a beautiful being. He will be missed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for reading me! I truly appreciate it! Indeed I continue to visit her blog daily! It is so inspiring, in so many ways! Of course we get to learn about Andy but through Vashti's path, we get to travel on our own and learn about ourselves! What a gift! I can only hope to inspire people as much in my lifetime! Merci encore! :)

      Delete
  2. Hello Aude, I've just come across your post now and had to comment. Its like you took the words right out of my mouth with regards to the effect that Andy had on you! What is it with that guy, huh?! ;) I've been following Vashti's blog for a year now and find her amazing. I think it is poignant that Andy was given such an iconic role. Every post you read about him, he has touched people in the exact same way and I find it truly amazing. His role as Spartacus introduced us to him, if only for a short while ... but I believe another part of his legacy is introducing us all to his wonderful wife. Her insight is beautiful, powerful, heartfelt and honest. Both Andy & Vashti are true inspirations. x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much for taking the time to comment! :) I couldn't agree more with everything you said! Every week i make sure to visit Vashti's blog. She is truly amazing, such a strong spirit. And you know, I think sometimes that the shorter someone's stay on Earth is, the bigger their legacy. His passing, as you implied, led us to know about his strength and lust for life and discover Vashti and her lust for life which in turns inspires us to live every minute to the fullest! I think we are so blessed to be here, to be able to read her and "know them" and for this wonderful blogosphere that breaks down boundaries and allows us to create a loving and strong community! Merci encore! Cheers! xox

      Delete