Monday, November 26, 2012

Just Be




Last week, one of my coworker alluded to my weight. Now this is not the first time this particular individual has made comments about the few extra pounds I have been carrying around. What is new is my reaction to it. Quite frankly, i didn't think that it would affect me. But it did. To be quite honest, I am still furious about it. Who has decided in this society that being skin and bones is the beauty ideal? And who says women should conform to this ideal in order to be considered "attractive"? I honestly wonder what bothers this coworker more: the fact that I am undoubtedly physically stronger than him or the fact that I am shaped like a 50's pinup girl? I respect everyone's ideal and I understand that not all men love curves. But the same way I wouldn't expect his 90-pounds wife to be like me,  I would similarly expect to be treated with the same kind of respect. Here's the thing: I am curvy, I have undeniable cellulite, I have a few extra pounds and I do enjoy my chocolate. I have also never been better psychologically or otherwise. I am a beautiful, voluptuous woman. And yes, I do not weight 90 pounds and shit, I have love handles. But that is ok. I am hard enough on myself without having to worry about others -very vocal- opinions. I love food and I exercise to feel better and be better- not to get into a size 2. So let's just be, alright? Let us rejoice in our shapes and ourselves. I think we could all benefit from loving ourselves a little bit more and hating ourselves and on others a little bit less. xox

No comments:

Post a Comment