Sunday, November 18, 2012

The list




Standards in love are a fairly new concept to me (as mentioned here). And my idea of standards, I am realizing now, was encroached in the realm of the vague. Tallness, kindness, generosity, etc. All concepts which are pretty inclusive and general. But after having a talk with a friend of mine last night, I realized that my list was no list at all. His was full of precise details ranging from ambition, to bank accounts to a desire to redecorate. And it got me thinking, once more, about voicing what you want. Even though I may not entirely agree with his list, I do admire his determination and focus in finding someone that suits his needs and aspirations. Heck all I want is a kind man who respects me and is faithful to me. I never thought about what I would like him to be doing for a living or about what hobbies I would like him to have...never. I find this a bit reductive as I my own hobbies and aspirations are ever changing. But perhaps, painting a more detailed portrait of an ideal partner could make him more tangible instead of this face-less elusive being I have yet to met. So I ask you, as I ask myself today: what are you looking for in a partner? What is important to you? What won't you accept? xox

No comments:

Post a Comment